NEW! Online Zoning Check for Businesses
NEW! Zoning Check
Select a land use and location to see how the zoning code will impact your project. This also helps applicants understand their options before choosing a location for their business.
NEW! Business Counter
An online tool, powered by Open Counter, to help businesses navigate the City's permit process. Businesses will be able to look up zoning requirements, permits and fees. Just answer a few questions about your business to receive a customized report on the permits, licenses, and estimated fees required for your project.
Please Click Here to access Novato's Zoning Ordinance.
The Zoning Ordinance implements the goals and policies of the Novato General Plan by classifying and regulating the uses of land and structures within the City of Novato. In addition, the Zoning Ordinance is adopted to protect and to promote the public health, safety, and general welfare of residents, and preserve and enhance the aesthetic quality of the city. To fulfill these purposes, the Zoning Code:
- Provides standards for the orderly growth and development of the city, and guides and controls the use of land to secure a safe, harmonious, attractive, and sustainable community;
- Implements the uses of land designated by the Novato General Plan and avoid conflicts between land uses;
- Maintains and protects the value of property;
- Conserves and protects the open space, scenic beauty, and other natural resources of the city;
- Protects the character, and social and economic stability of residential, commercial, and industrial areas;
- Assists in maintaining a high quality of life without causing unduly high public or private costs for development or unduly restricting private enterprise, initiative, or innovation in design; and
- Provides for appropriate citizen participation in the decision making processes.