Criteria for Housing Sites
At its May 19, 2011 meeting, the City Manager's Working Group endorsed the criteria below. This criteria served as the framework for the recommendation of the Working Group for the housing sites:
- Housing Needs and Mix: The housing mix shall provide options to serve all socio-economic levels, household sizes, and age groups in the community.
- Housing Density: Housing densities shall be consistent with community-wide values and shall be such that a feasibility analysis can be prepared to address State density expectations.
- Housing integrated into Neighborhoods: The character of existing neighborhoods shall be protected by carefully considering compatibility, density, and design of new adjacent residential development, especially when adjoining existing single family residential.
- Distribution of Housing Units: Affordable housing sites shall be dispersed throughout the City. There should not be an over-concentration of affordable housing units in any one area.
- Accessibility: Sites should preferably be located on or near regional transit lines including buses and trains, or they are within walking distance of major services, employment centers and/or recreational areas.
- Housing in Commercial Areas: Housing sites shall be included in the Downtown and other commercial areas to distribute a fair share of the housing needs to those areas and enhance downtown vitality, while balancing needs for retail and commercial development.
- Site Availability: Vacant or underutilized site are preferred. Developed sites where the structures have been vacant for an extended period have preference. Sites that are occupied, but for which the owner has expressed interest in sale should also receive a preference.
- Construction Feasibility: The site size, physical characteristics, density designation, and development standards shall support affordable housing feasibility.
- Second Units: A realistic, achievable number of possible second units shall be included in the overall housing allocation.
- Rehabilitated units: The rehabilitation of existing units has not been included for the accommodation of affordable units.